Tuesday, July 31, 2012

ONLY IN AFRICA: “AFRICA KILLS HER SUN”



ONLY IN AFRICA: “AFRICA KILLS HER SUN”
I recall many years ago as a young child, reading in a newspaper of an African leader who stood on the grave of a dead lieutenant and through his tears said; “Africa kills her sons”.
I don’t know what he meant by that, and though I have thought about it long enough, I’ve not been able to unravel the full mystery of those words.
Indeed, we have painted the picture of a continent where one cannot be able to make it in life. Our young, innovative, talented and educated generation now believes that Europe, America or anywhere else is the only place they can achieve.
From talented world class soccer players to our beautiful models, the story is no different. Shocking enough, at this year’s Euro 2012 games, France alone has 9 players with roots of descend to Africa.
What if we had taken time to invest on our own and build our own? Now, today, this very moment, the African leader’s words come flooding back to me. And I want to borrow from him- a proposal for the epitaph of the great men of our African society- “Africa kills her sun.”
That is why I am sure, you will agree with me is to why she had been described as the Dark Continent.

No comments: