Monday, September 2, 2013

NAI NI WHO SHOWCASES THE ART OF CYRUS KABIRU…


August 3rd saw the grand finale of the Nai Ni Who festival; but with its end; it has left many talk on the lips of Nairobi’s urban crowd.

When the festival touched the Lavington area; one man was exposed through this. A painter; creator of shades and a sculptor; Cyrus Kabiru who has a spacious studio at the quiet Kuona Trust premises allowed the public to don his famous c-stunners shades that are made from found objects and recycled materials.




“When I was young; I was the best toy maker. I grew up with thrown bottle tops. But still I think of myself as a painter first;” he is quoted as having said this to Up Magazine writer; Anyiko Owoko.
Cyrus is the man behind the retro-funky shades dubbed the C-STUNNERS; which have earned him recognition worldwide.

In 2010; he won an award for innovative thinking at the Maker Faire Africa competition. Then come 2011 and he was among a select choice of African artists interviewed for a MTV AFRICA documentary on creative people across Africa.

Kabiru notes, “Every one of my glasses is a limited edition with a title and a story behind it.”

















No comments: