Thursday, August 9, 2012

MOVERS AND SHAKERS; MY FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH THE ANGELIC AND TALENTED MOIPEI SISTERS QUARTET





MOVERS AND SHAKERS; MY FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH THE ANGELIC AND TALENTED MOIPEI SISTERS QUARTET

Year 2009 was magical for me! I was a form 3 student back in Pumwani High School, Nairobi and an opportunity arose for me to visit Braeside International School- a fancy, uptown and classy school for the affluent.

Little did I know that this Nairobi conservatoire Orchestra event pitting the who is who in the music scene in Nairobi would lead me to an encounter with a talented quartet I had only before then admired on TV.

Although I did not have the 100 bob required for the event, for this one-in – a –lifetime opportunity, I had to debt my pals.

Fate brought me to an encounter with the Moipei Quartet. To date I still hold on to the diary page they personally autographed for me and one that earned me envy and talk of the school that week.

At the Nairobi Orchestra event, I had an opportunity to see and hear their dad perform. What really stuck with me about the 4- triplets Mary, Martha, Magdalene and Seraphine was their jovial moods and smile. But above all their humbleness despite their fame and the ability to stoop down below and blend with commoners like me in a magical and unique way won my admiration for them.

The 4 are adept at the African and classical genres. But what do you expect? They started their singing career at only age 2 and they have grown to date to incorporate acting and drama too.

Not only have they sung for International audiences, they have also used their talent in the campaign for children’s right. And the United Nations Children Education Fund (UNICEF) has made them child ambassadors, to raise awareness on rights of children.

The girls have won the hearts of many Kenyans and the whole world with their ability to sing in different languages. Their professional music teacher cum dad has been encouraging them to learn new cultures, languages and also he has been helping them learn to play musical instruments.

That’s the Moipei Quartet for you. To them, it is not all about the fame but the quest to use and exploit their talents positively to help and inspire others!







No comments: