Wednesday, August 15, 2012

AN OPEN APOLOGY LETTER TO JAMAICA’S REGGAE SENSATION, ETANA…



Dear Etana “The Strong One,”

Happy 50 Th anniversary to you and fellow Jamaicans worldwide. I know you will be shocked to read this letter from a Kenyan fan (to be honest I am sure you will not read it because you are back on the road touring and performing). I am sure Kenyan promoters are the last people you’d want to hear from right now, let alone see them or strike a conversation. Kindly be patient as you read this.
I read on the papers, tabloids and over the internet on how Dean Fraser, Etana, Tarrus Riley and the Black Soil band left their Kenyan fans yearning for more.
How I wish I would have attended the event. But because of some issues involving respecting my folks since I am under their roof, I could not make it to the Carnivore Grounds.
I remember the first time I heard a song from you was through the Silverstar Sounds radio show hosted by Randy and Gussy every Friday night on Homeboyz Radio over here in Kenya. I remember Gussy joking on how you were her boo and he was gonna marry you. I remember your angelic voice on the “I am not afraid” tune on the Rub-a-Dub Riddim. My first impression was “who ya dis?”

From then on, I went on a journey to find out more about Etana and each time I came across tunes you have belted out like “August Town”- a song that is a story of how a group of families from your August Town, your Hometown were shot by police after someone alleged that there were thugs down the river bed yet they had just set up a sound system and were partying. Tunes like “Blessing” with Albarosie have been a great listen to your latest “wifey” tune on the Heart and Soul Riddim. I have been blessed and inspired by your conscious tunes Etana.
Even as I read the good stuff about your electrifying performance right here in Nairobi, I also read about the painful stuffs you had to undergo together with your hubby despite being pregnant. The tussle pitting your representative and the promoters.
Infact, in one of Kenya’s most read newspaper- The Standard, a pull out on the Eve gal/The Dude magazine, an entry on Wednesday August 15th,2012 reads…
TOUGH SURVIVAL FOR FEMALE REGGAE ARTISTES:
L
ike in several other professions, in the music industry and especially reggae, a female artiste has to work twice as hard as a male artiste. This is according to visiting reggae songstress Etana. On Friday, before the Big Tunes Festival concert, Etana tweeted:
“So my representative had hell dealing with this Kenya promoter as far as I am hearing I may not be able to perform. Though I’m here. Crazy… wah dis mi come buck up plan inna Kenya. Ever feel like your hands are tied? Women always have to fight extra hard.”
Although she did not mention names, it was sort of clear she was referring to the other visiting artiste Tarrus Riley being more of a star attraction than she was.
We learnt that the two were having serious friction, to a point of not being able to be in the same room.
A joint press conference for the two could not take place on Friday at the Sankara Hotel, and the media had to be addressed by Tarrus first and then separately by Etana after Tarrus went back to his hotel room.
On the day of the concert, as there was only one room back stage for the star artistes to wait in, Etana, accompanied by her husband-cum-manager, decided to go back to the car and wait for her performing moment as opposed to waiting in the room together with Tarrus and his team.
I have no idea whether all of what is written above is plain gossip or not. And for that reason I choose not to argue without the facts, but I take this humble opportunity openly to ask for forgiveness from you on behalf of my fellow country men and lovers of your music and reggae genre. At times, we get too- high headed in pride to stoop below and accept we are wrong and in need of forgiveness.
Kindly find it in you heart to forgive us as a whole! In that deep love for you Kenyan fans, include me. All the best in your endeavours and as you carry the little one growing in your tummy. Xoxoxo!!!!
Your fan,
Vincent libosso

No comments: