Tuesday, October 15, 2013

VINNY’S KITCHEN GOES SALADS! SALADS! SALADS!



BY EMBUKANE VINCENT LIBOSSO
V
inny’s Kitchen has always been fun with a foodie side. It is a greats segment where I let you into my kitchen and give you a taste of what I am feeling; great treats and just simple recipes you can try at home. It is basically food and fun!
But I came across a foodie like me who had a great piece on the Kenya Buzz (www.kenyabuzz.com) which I would love to share today. Oh, I should call her a “saladie” (not sure whether that’s an English word) because she is “mad” about salads.

WHY SALADS?

I honestly have no proper answer to this question. Still thinking about it. I am not sure if it’s because of boredom (eating other people’s salads), or just another discovered hobby. I never knitted as a child, only learnt it in my adulthood and still knit. I might just kind t you a sweater or make you a salad.

In January 2013; my new year’s resolution was to get into chocolate rehab and eat raw salad for lunch. Just like most people; I didn’t see myself surviving, without chocolate. I mean, who quits chocolate? Very unserious people. I did start with two weeks, then I did a month; I did 40 days and at this rate; I could do a year. Bring it on! By the way; I did have withdrawal symptoms (nothing dramatic like shaking and acting crazish). I see chocolate in the supermarket and I am proud to say that I ignore the voices. Those voices used to turn me into a zombie (true story) and somehow, I would end up buying a few bars. How, I have no idea!

Focus! Back to the real story. So I started to make salads for my lunch, and I just started basic, but with leaves that my stomach and mind said ok. Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cheese just to begin with. I have discovered that I prefer my veggies raw (not fashion). I find cooked veggies or even steamed; boring. And I mean dead boring! Like seriously- BORING! Am sure you get my drift by now.







There is something about raw veggies that I can’t explain. They give you so much energy. Sometimes I wonder if ii am on coffee. I am never tired, I feel great, and I could run across the continent and back (no I will not deliver your mail). Let us just say I feel so alive and high on vegetables.

I’m not a vegetarian, but I love my fish and my skinned chicken. I just steam them and slap a salad together and there is the meal. But I can’t ignore the benefits that come with enjoying my vegetables.

What do you like to eat your salad with?

@JAKKI ANYAZWA
SUNGURA CORNER


No comments: