Friday, April 5, 2013

RAILA ODINGA’S SPEECH DEPICTED A TRUE STATESMAN


Great men and women, today I stand before you not only as a patriotic Kenyan. I come to you as your son. I come to you with great humility.
I am not here to represent Honorable Raila Omollo Odinga; despite having voted for him without any regrets. “Jakom’s” actions speak louder than my words ever would.
I am here to pay tribute to Mr. Raila Odinga. Whether his speech was written for him or not; it depicted the very principles democracy was built upon.
After the Supreme Court’s verdict, your nemesis’ supporters mocked you; that you would go ahead to call a mass action and plunge this country into horror. But time proved you wise just as your name- “Jakom”.
Instead; against all odds; you chose to uphold integrity; duty; honor and peace.
Mr. Odinga; you gave this country hope- hope that great president to be; a happy warrior and probably the best vice president anyone can ask for; Mr. Kalonzo Musyoka; and the entire army behind you; have not been wasted to the pages of history. That your courage; all of you; bonds us together.
As a nation, we are made stronger by your action to trust the fairness of our judicial system; and that your choice sir; today reflects your bravery despite the verdict’s outcome.

Despite how moving; how eloquent or even how passionate this piece is; it doesn’t change the fact that those who think, “We lost” are deeply hurting; a majority of whom are your supporters Mr. Odinga.
Some; I bet will ponder over your speech and the fact that you accepted the court’s ruling and verdict as a cryptic talk. But I know that time will once again prove you wise “Jakom.”
Time will prove you wise countless centuries down line; when the word will be spread all over that bold “Jakom” and his team; so far away from “victory”; laid down their political pride; not just for theory selfish gains and interests; but for all Kenya, and the wonderful promise this country holds.
The Son of Oracles; with his pen and script has spoken. I now sit to watch from a far; now, here standing on this rugged patch of our called “democracy.”
As we usher a future brighter that anything we can imagine; I give thanks to Mr. Raila Odinga and his brave team.
I am not bitter anymore because I know it is a win-win situation for Kenya. And if destiny brings us together in some distance place in the future; I will boldly look at you sir and say like a true Spartan soldier to his king:
“It’s an honor to have fought at your side.”
And probably I will hear you command boldly:
“It was all an honor for me to have lived at yours and lead you.”
-by Embukane Vincent Libosso; communication student, Daystar University Nairobi.

this story appeared on The Standard newspaper Kenya on Friday 5th April 2013

No comments: