Tuesday, January 21, 2014

# STRUT IT AFRIKA MODEL RECRUITMENT AND AUDITIONS 2014



It is always my delight to follow from afar, yet so close, the fashion movement in town- Strut It Afrika. The agency as you know was my first call up to be their blogger and so I know for them it is much more than a model agency and a business. It is a brand with personality. The founders, who are former models, literally assembled the fashion industry’s young popular models; fresh faces; to be a part of the Strut It team.

Founded by 24 year old Malaika Nyansi and 26 year old Moses Mukiibi (both Ugandan); their company’s establishment was inspired after a beauty pageant stint in 2009.
I read Malaika’s narration of the company’s humble but wistfully beginnings on December issue of UP Magazine…

“When (Moses and I) came to Kenya, we came for school. Some friends and my boyfriend at the time managed to convince me to contest for the Mr. and Miss USIU (beauty pageant). I said I’m not doing this by myself, I forced Moses to do it as well.”

Moses won the 2009 Mr. USIU title, while Malaika clinched the First Runners Up Miss USIU crown.

“From that day, people noticed us and we kept getting called for job after job. I eventually left for japan for about a year. Before I left, we had talked about starting something like this. Moses set the ball rolling then and when I came back, I joined him and we proceeded with it.”






The agency has to date scouted models in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia and Uganda. Last year (September 28th- October 5th); the inaugural Strut It Afrika fashion week went down. Held at various city venues including: IMAX Cinema, Shift-eye Gallery and Westhouse; the event merged elements of fashion, art, music and dance. There were 15 designers from Burundi, Uganda and Kenya, who showcased their designs and collections.

An important requirement at the agency is 6’0 foot prerequisite for men while women must be well toned. They currently represent 30 models including top Kenyan male model Joe Kisila, the 6’0 man with razor-sharp good looks.

Strut It’s other gem is model Sharon Kaari, her hard-to-miss smoldering gaze made her popular with many. Among other high profile events that under Strut It’s belt include the Nairobi Fashion Market, Absolut Fashion and the launch of Zara Fashion Line in Kenya by Deacons Kenya Limited; where apart from having their models strut it, they also organized; managed and produced the runway shows.

“People don’t seem to realize is that that this is a career,” notes Malaika who is undoubtedly in this to stay. Nevertheless, Strut It Afrika is fast becoming a symbol of young entrepreneurship and undisputed face of East Africa’s coolest modeling agency.
















To get recruited follow the link-http://www.kenyabuzz.com/whats-on/strut-it-afrika-auditions-2014

No comments: