Wednesday, April 24, 2013

THANKYOU YOUNG NATION: THE STUDENT IS NOW READY



Receive greetings from the son of the oracles. From my little room, pinned on my wall is an archived newspaper dated Sunday April 18th 2010. In a short while I will tell you the importance of that date and the story behind it. That was the same day I had my first by-line if I may say, on a national newspaper detailing my one week experience as a guest writer with the Young Nation.

Back then, I was just a young Form Four student from Pumwani High School in Eastlands but one with a passion of one day becoming an investigative journalist.

For now, I want to thank the Young Nation for the opportunity to be nurtured under their incubator and learn under their wings.

Go ahead and search for that newspaper. There I wrote about an ancient Zen proverb that states; “when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

Today, I stand before you to raise your spirits and encourage all the Young people who have dreams and believe in their dreams. I will examine the 4 key words in the Zen proverb.

STUDENT: be a student and stay open, and willing to learn from everyone and anyone. For me, being at Young Nation desk proved that being a student of life, means you have room fro new input. As young people; the call is upon us to avoid the pride and curse of being experts and realize that every single person in your lifetime has something to teach you.

READY: be a willing student. Ready means willing. Genuinely, authentically willing. Look for authentic opportunities out there that are in line with your dreams and passion in life.

TEACHER: teachers in life appear in various forms and your willingness makes the teacher able to assist you. Being a communication student at the university, I fondly remember what I learnt at Young Nation because I refused to ignore the teacher but embrace my pen and notebook and jotted down everything. Your teacher can be anything. I believe it might be a child who takes you by the hand and asks you a question that you hadn’t considered before, and your answer to the child is your answer to yourself.

APPEAR: the teacher is making an appearance in everything and everyone you encounter. When the homeless person with his soiled presence and outstretched hand reminds you of your need to be merciful, the teacher has appeared.

Anyway, as I was saying. Never take for granted any opportunity presented on your way. I am sure Young Nation will be inviting young guest writers because that is their tall order and if you are given that opportunity, grab it like a rugby ball and make that try.

I gracefully cover these pages with gratitude to all the great people I met while I was there. You are more that friends. You are family. From Madam Editor Liz Gitonga to designers like Nzissa Mulli and Andrew “omwami” Anini. The list is indeed endless. I can’t forget Mr. Eric Shimoli, who gave me a grand opportunity to cover a field story in the company of Mr. Bonyo at the business desk.

To my fellow youths who believe in their dreams, the Son of Oracles expects that you will enumerate the lessons you want to leave. Duty. Glory. Honor. Hope. And that you will not play with the memoirs of your sacred dreams, visions and hopes.

Finally, what will change or kill your dream are the little things we do. You can choose to ignore the sentiments of the people that glide before your eyes everyday. Or, you can be a penchant that thrives because you chose to listen. The choice is indeed ours. And so may the Good Lord help us all!

Young Nation, for me and a legion more, we watch from a far with our pens in hand. You are a beacon of hope and encouragement to the young nation and generation of Kenya. The Son of Oracles vows to keep you company throughout.

To my fellow dreamers; let us rise up and strike the darkness of hopelessness.
Cheers.

-by Embukane Vincent Libosso, communication student at Daystar University and blogger at Africa’s Hangout Blog.

No comments: