Monday, June 18, 2012

HONOURING OUR FATHERS:


HONOURING OUR FATHERS:

So, yesterday was Father’s Day. Happy belated Father’s Day guys! I thought to myself what I’d write concerning this particular day. As I took time alone, I felt God urging me to strive, not merely by my words but also by my action, to live each day as though it was a Father’s Day.

I came across a special archived message from a Saturday Magazine pullout of the Daily Nation from way back in 2010. I’d like to share this African woman and a columnist’s story, which she titled; “honoring our fathers.”
June 21st is a day that gets scant attention this side of the planet. It is a day set aside to celebrate the fatherly figures in our lives- Father’s Day in short!
Ruth E. Renkel, a writer, once said that, “sometimes the poorest man leaves his children the richest inheritance.”
The world can be unfair. How better can we demonstrate this unfairness than from the way we rave about our mothers’ goodness more than we do our fathers’?
We are usually reminded with prompt and pomp that Mother’s Day is round the corner way in advance, but what happens on Father’s Day?
It often goes by without mention. True, fathers might not always be there for us, and so we grow closer to our mothers as we grow up.
But is he not the one who toiled to ensure our needs were met? Thank goodness there are still some of us who are thoughtful enough to acknowledge the role our dad’s played in our lives.
How many of us smile when we think of our own papa as well as all other men who have played the role of a father in our lives?
Do you remember when some of us looked forward to our dads visiting us in high school, always coming along with a bag full of goodies? While our peers dreaded their fathers’ visits, since they only carried a newspaper with them, we always looked forward to our dads visiting us.
My father has been a friend and above all a source of encouragement throughout my entire life. I know I can talk to him at any time. I say “thank you”, I say “gracias” to him for guiding us in the issues of spirituality.
Everyday, regardless of what I am going through, I am at peace because I know I can call on him and ask that he say a prayer for me.
He sacrificed a lot to ensure we get the best education, and has been selfless in ensuring that we lack nothing basic as we grow up.
You have taught us the greatest value in life, integrity. You also taught us to save for a rainy day.
Thank you for taking time to talk to my brothers and sisters to help them become better fathers and mothers in future.
Thank you for being free to discuss with us even about girls, AIDS and sexuality- you have made us realize that love is real.
Looking at you and seeing how you have treated our mama for over 30 years, and the kind of support you have given her, makes me smile boldly.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for always being so open and welcoming to all the different types of friends we bring home. I know I have never been at ease saying this, but thank you also for being a great disciplinarian, who wanted nothing short of raising responsible children.
I can only pray sincerely that God gives you many days ahead to see us pass on good things to our children as well. May God continually give you good health?
I have made it my agenda to visit my parents and mentors in appreciation of the role they have played in our lives. This year’s theme is;” to honor our fathers,” and whatever goodies we carry with us, are presented to the father- it is up to him to share his gifts as he so wishes.
We decided this when we realize that we had somehow sidelined our dads. Many a times we’ve appreciated our mothers more than we have appreciated our fathers.
Don’t get me wrong. It is not wrong to appreciate our mothers, but I believe our fathers too have played a key role in our lives.
I have come to realize that, no matter what some people say, or may say, taking care of a father means the entire family stays happy too. Honor your daddy today-won’t you?

No comments: