Wednesday, August 21, 2013

MY FIRST BY-LINE FOR UP MAGAZINE!

ABSOLUT ART AT KUONA TRUST (http://www.upnairobi.com/dt_portfolio/2894/#comment-34)


August 19, 2013adminArt

Bent mesh wire, carefully crafted brush strokes and geometrical shapes where some of the means of expression as six of Nairobi’s most talented artists clashed in a competition for 50.000 khs. This Saturday 18th of August 2013 the Absolut Vodka bottle served as a frame for all the creative creations that the 250+ crowd had come to experience.
Art lovers, friends of UP magazine and artists from different walks of life showed up to watch the artists in action. “I think the event is amazing! It’s an excellent event with a nice mixture of people from all over. Plus some great talented artists” reckoned Tom, an enthusiastic art lover amongst the crowd.
Paul Onditi, Omosh Kindeh, Dickson Kaloki, Beth Kimwele, Kevin Oduor and Sidney Mang’ong’o where the headlining artists; all displaying and impressive level of creativity and skill.
The sculptor Kevin Oduor took the first prize and lined up for his check and praise from audience and friends. “To me, the inspiration is the absolute vodka bottle. It is a clear bottle and that is why I used the wire mesh. For that 3-D effect,” Kevin tells UP magazine as he burst out laughing.

The dreadlocked artist Omosh Kindehwho shared the runner-up price and was all jeers, “I gave myself a challenge and through this event I overcame! Absolute vodka has challenged me to give this all my best.”

Sidney Mang’ong’o was the other runner-up, creating an abstract aerial view of Nairobi.


“For me, it was tiresome but fun. The inspiration behind my art is energy without color. That is why I used dots and vague imaging” said Paul Onditi about is entry to the competition.

Meeting Beth Kimwele; the only female artist in the competition; she smiles and turns to me as I pop the question;
“What is the inspiration behind the art?” “Inspiration behind the art is that it is an African mask; despite its beauty; just like absolute; it has an inner spirit. I played with color boldly.” She says.

Dickson Kaloki posing in front of his creation.



For more images of the evening stay tune on our Facebook page and for upcoming events keep an eye onhttp://www.upnairobi.com/events/  
Check all the pictures via our FB Page
By Embukane Vincent Libosso


August 21, 2013 at 6:52 amReply
hey
i was glad to be called up to be part of the UP MAGAZINE STREET TEAM and just helping with this event and even a write up was amazing. my first write up for UP MAGAZINE.
TEAM UP MAGAZINE LEGOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! HIGH VOLTAGE ENERGY!!!!

2 comments:

Blogger said...

Did you know that that you can earn cash by locking premium sections of your blog / site?
All you need to do is join AdscendMedia and run their Content Locking tool.

Blogger said...

Get all the best alcoholic drinks on Duty Free Depot!

All the popular brand name drinks for unbelievable discounted prices.